Monday, July 22, 2013

Learning to Speak Australian

As I type this there are 6 movers packing up are things to head to Thailand. (insert sounds of packing tape and paper). Soon I'll get kicked out of my spot on the sofa, but for now I'm doing some important research to get ready for my new job.

As I mentioned before, I'll be working at The Australian International School of Bangkok (AISB). Just a few days ago I received an email with a variety of documents to help me prepare: Introduction to Bangkok (a very helpful 14 page document to get re-acquainted with the city) , Orientation Schedule for AISB (including agendas for my week of orientation), Staff Assignments (I'll join other the American, New Zealander, Aussies, Brits, Canadian, and South African teachers on staff of which 7/18 are new) , and my Class List (9 different nationalities, 11 students total).

While looking over the staff assignments, I realized that the classrooms all have names. (If you remember, I had the Rabbit Class at Mulberry House)  At AISB the classroom all have animals names. Animals from Australia- animals that I'm not too familiar with... so it's time to learn how to speak some Australian!


Nursery 1 (starts with 18 month olds): Platypus and Possums. These two I knew!

Nursery 2 (Up to the age of 3): Rosellas, Tasmanian Devils, and Cockatoos. Isn't having a classroom called the Tasmania Devils just asking for trouble?!
Kindergarten 1 (ages 3-4): Numbats, Emus, and Wombats. I think the wombats are very cute!
Kindergarten 2 (ages 4-5): Wallabies, Dingoes, potoroos, Koalas (clockwise starting in upper left)

Year 1 (ages 5-6) : Kookaburras and Echidnas (this is my class, spell checker wants to call them enchiladas)

Year 2 (ages 6-7): Kangaroos and Quokkas
Year 3 (ages 7-8):  Bandicoots          Year 4 (ages 8-9): Red Backs. 
I hope you enjoyed this lesson in Australian animals! 

No comments:

Post a Comment